Sunday, August 24, 2014

Full speed ahead!

I've finally decided not to buy any more lottery tickets (i.e. no more gambling 'cos that's what it is).

'The only way to win at gambling is not to gamble.' RW copyright 2014.

Gambling is referred to euphemistically as 'gaming'; usually with the accompanying slogan 'winners know when to quit.' I think winners know when not to start! How many lives have been devastated by gambling!

Every now and again I receive an e-mail from an online dating service - I'll not name names - inviting me for yet another brief free trial. I unsubscribed months ago but yet I still receive their pesky lures. No thanks! I say. It simply doesn't work for me. It's a disheartening business.

It's time to stop doing the wrong things and start doing the right things. I have yet to say: 'No more drinking alcohol.' That's a tough one 'cos sometimes a beer goes down well but if truth be told beer tastes horrible. Most fruit juices easily top the taste of beer, most sodas too; so why choose beer? I reckon it must have something to do with the slight 'buzz' you get. Alcohol is an addictive drug. It forms tolerance in you which means you need to drink more alcohol to produce the same 'buzz'. I can thank my lucky stars I don't do the hard alcohol (high alcohol content drinks like whiskey, for example).

So, no more gambling, no more online dating - full speed ahead! : )

2 comments:

  1. Speed is also a drug :P

    Good luck with the straight and narrow. The older we get, the less our bodies can tolerate the fun things in life. Learn to enjoy the hollow feeling inside that you used to fill with beer.

    ReplyDelete